Steps for estimating the construction of a house
To get an accurate answer on the cost of building a house, it is essential to look at the value of the land on one side. Then, the construction cost itself will be added. It corresponds in fact to the basis on which the building site will be organized.
Determining the value of the land
The prices charged for a plot of land depend on the canton and the exact location in the area. They range from CHF 150.00 to CHF 2,000.00, which is the maximum for the metropolises of Zurich and Geneva. The price is then multiplied by the surface area. To find out more, you can read how to estimate the price of a plot of land in this article.
Calculating the cost of building the house
House building projects are very different. Contemporary, traditional, single-storey, multi-storey houses, it is complex to give a valid basis for each estimate of the cost of building a house.
The Swiss Property Owners' Association (AFP) recommends that you calculate the necessary budget at CHF 700-800 per cubic metre. However, this recommendation is only valid for medium-size buildings.
For a family home with few amenities, the reference value is only CHF 600. For a high-end building project, double this amount should be used.
Controlling the cost of a new house construction
The average cost of current services
To estimate the cost of a new home, here are the expenses to be expected:
- A bathroom with washbasin, shower or bathtub, WC, tiles and all useful equipment: CHF 20'000.-
- The kitchen with oven, dishwasher, refrigerator, installation of equipment, cupboards and sink: CHF 20'000.
- Concrete garage: between CHF 20,000 and CHF 30,000
- Garden landscaping with paths, gravel, plantings, lawns: CHF 100 per square metre transformed
- Windows: CHF 900 per installed window
- Construction of a cellar: CHF 15,000 to CHF 20,000 for the excavation plus the costs of fitting out the cellar at CHF 400 per square metre.
The cost of a construction can therefore rise depending on your project. You can add up the sums to get an idea of the necessary budget.
Estimating the cost of construction: saving money
To limit the financial weight of a house construction, buyers can modulate their project to minimize costs. For the kitchen and bathroom, the essentials can be chosen. Luxury features are bound to inflate prices.
Home automation is practical but can also have a cost to connect the elements together. If the future inhabitants do not have any problems of autonomy, savings can be made on this level.
If you take care of the garden yourself, you will also save a lot of money. Finally, the garage can be chosen in prefabricated form, which is less expensive than the concrete version.
Points to remember when estimating the cost of building a house
To obtain an estimate of the construction cost of your future home, you must follow these steps:
- Determine the value of the land
- Calculate the cost of the construction alone according to the project
- Look for possible savings
- Add incidental expenses to get the total
- Estimate the cost of renovating a house
Another article that may interest you: Estimating the cost of renovating a house.